Shorewood Façade Improvement Program
Sponsored by the Village of Shorewood Community Development Authority and the Shorewood Business Improvement District
In cooperation with the Village of Shorewood CDA (Community Development Authority), the Shorewood Business Improvement District has created a grant program to help property owners upgrade the facade of their business or commercial properties. Since its inception, this grant program has allocated almost $200,000 to improve Shorewood’s storefronts and commercial buildings.
Shorewood's Facade Improvement Program was established to stimulate high - quality, exterior building improvements to existing commercial buildings in the Central Business District - improvements that are sufficient in scope to produce visible changes to the building facades.
- Enhance the attractiveness of the Central Business District.
- Ensure a high level of maintenance for a sustainable commercial area.
- Promote commercial vitality and increase economic activity.
- Maintain or improve existing property values in the target area and adjacent areas.
The target area for the Façade Improvement Program is the area included within Tax Incremental District #1 (all commercial property along East Capitol Drive and North Oakland Avenue).
To take advantage of the program, grantees must follow the design guidelines approved in the Master Plan for the Central Business District. Only renovations and improvement projects that follow the guidelines and zoning code revisions are eligible to benefit from the program.
Who is eligible to participate?
Only commercial properties within the original and expanded TID #1 district are eligible to apply and receive grant money. Properties that are exclusively residential, even though they are located within the TID district, are not eligible. Tenants must have permission of the property owner in order to engage in the program, and the Village of Shorewood must grant all appropriate permits and approvals before work can begin.
Eligible activities include, but are not limited to:
- Repair and/or replacement of the original building's materials and decorative details that are deteriorated or missing.
- Repair of non-original materials that cannot be removed due to deterioration of the underlying original building material.
- Cleaning of exterior building surfaces.
- Tuck pointing and masonry repair.
- Repair, replacement or addition of entrances, doors, display windows, transoms or second-story windows.
- Removal, repair and/or replacement of existing signs and awnings.
- New signs and awnings.
- Landscaping improvements and planters.
- Permanent exterior lighting.
- Design fees on completed projects.
- Permit fees for completed projects.
- Work on a façade not visible from a public street.
- Work on a roof.
- Work done before approval of an Application Agreement for this Façade Improvement Program.
- Purchase of property.
- Construction of a NEW building.
- Fixtures and equipment.
Two types of grants are available under the program.
Concept Design Grant
This grant shares the cost of developing a conceptual design and cost estimate for improvement of the building façade. An approved applicant receives 90% of the consultant cost (up to $2,000) for developing the completed conceptual design.
Façade Improvement Grant
This grant shares in the actual cost of implementing the improvements identified in the conceptual design and cost estimate, including the cost to complete the final design and construction documents.
An approved applicant will receive an amount equal to 50% of the construction costs (up to $25,000). Amounts above the maximum may be authorized with approval by the Community Development Authority of the Village of Shorewood before the project begins.
Download a brochure explaining how to apply for façade funding
If you are interested in learning more, contact Shorewood Business Improvement Executive Director Jim Plaisted at 414-272-5823 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment to review the program guidelines and application process.