2010 Special Events
Holiday Shopwalk on December 4 A Grand Success!
A beautiful, snowy day in Shorewood set the tone for our popular Holiday Shopwalk! Many thanks to our corporate sponsors for contributing to this year's event. We are pleased to stage the Shopwalk each year as the kickoff to the holiday season. Thank you to our loyal residents and guests who choose to shop and dine locally in Shorewood.Ice-Carving Sponsors
- Allstate Insurance/Andrew McCabe Agency
- Culver's of Shorewood
- Edward Jones/Mike O'Brien
- Einstein Bros. Bagels
- Garden Room/Anaba Tea Room
- Goody Gourmet's
- Harleys: The Store for Men
- Harry's Bar & Grill
- Ideal Landscaping
- Nehring's Sendik's on Oakland
- North Star American Bistro
- Oakcrest Tavern
- Robert Laurence Salon
- Shorewood Press Shorewood Men's Club
- Stowell Associates/Select Staff
- Vanity Fur
- Ziolkowski Dental
- North Shore Bank and the Shorewood Men's Club
- Shorewood Players
- Shorewood Department of Public Works
- Don Berg and Winter Fun Inc.
- Garden Room (for hosting Santa)
- First Place: Dave Andrews, Wauwatosa
- Second Place: Dan Ingebrigtson, Franklin
- Third Place: Anne Marie Harder, Hartland
- Honorable Mention: Paul Hess, Shorewood
- Honorable Mention: Tom Queoff, Milwaukee
Saturday, December 4 • 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Throughout the Shorewood Business District along Oakland Ave. and Capitol Dr.
Get ready for the holiday season with our popular Holiday Shopwalk featuring an ice-carving exhibition, free trolley rides, special offers from local merchants, strolling carolers from the Shorewood Players and much more. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. watch world-renowned, award-winning professional ice carvers sculpt 300-lb. frosty blocks of ice into stunning masterpieces in front of select Shorewood businesses. Take a free trolley ride and tour the business district – many stores will be offering free refreshments and special offers. Bring the whole family to visit with Santa at Garden Room, 2107 E. Capitol Dr., from 12 to 3 p.m. The atmosphere will be festive and fun in our business district as we all get ready for the holiday shopping season!
Ride the free trolley from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (compliments of North Shore Bank and the Shorewood Men's Club) and visit all the carving locations:
- North Star American Bistro restaurant 4518 N. Oakland Ave
- Stowell Associates/Select Staff 4485 N. Oakland Ave.
- Allstate Insurance/Andrew McCabe Agency 4451 N. Oakland Ave.
- Goody Gourmet’s/Vanity Fur 4425/4429 N. Oakland Ave.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels 4301 N. Oakland Ave.
- Starbucks 4170 N. Oakland Ave.
- Goldi 4114 N. Oakland Ave.
- Shorewood Press/Robert Laurence Salon 4060 N. Oakland Ave.
- Nehring's Sendik's on Oakland 4027 N. Oakland Ave.
- Oakcrest Tavern 4022 N. Oakland Ave.
- North Shore Bank (sponsored by Keith Ziolokowski DDS) 3970 N. Oakland Ave.
- Harleys: The Store for Men 3565 N. Oakland Ave.
- Harry’s Bar & Grill 3549 N. Oakland Ave.
- Holiday Tree Lot (sponsored by Ideal Landscaping) next to Harry's Bar & Grill
- Edward Jones/Mike O'Brien 2323 E. Capitol Dr.
- Garden Room 2107 E. Capitol Dr.
- Shorewood Police Department (sponsored by the Shorewood Men's Club) 3936 N. Murray Ave.
- Culver's of Shorewood 1325 E. Capitol Dr.
Please click here to download a program of the day's activities.
2010 Public Art Event: “Best Seats in the House”
Presented by the Shorewood Foundation and produced by the Shorewood Business Improvement District
June 5-August 15, 2010
“Best Seats in the House” engaged Shorewood’s attractive, walkable community this summer in a celebration of discovery as residents and guests strolled the business district to discover our fabulous benches!
“Best Seats in the House” was the talk of the town and attracted visitors from all over the Milwaukee area to visit Shorewood. The 41 custom-decorated benches featured the talents of local artists who used a variety of media, including paint, mosaic, ironwork and mixed media, to create amazing works of art! “Best Seats in the House” came to a close on Sunday, August 29 when 39 of the benches were auctioned off in a public auction at Hubbard Park Lodge to benefit the Shorewood Foundation, the event’s presenting sponsor.
Thanks to our sponsors!
“Best Seats in the House” was presented by the Shorewood Foundation and produced by the Shorewood Business Improvement District. Additional sponsors included:
- Village of Shorewood Marketing Program
- Shorewood Men’s Club
- Shorewood Department of Public Works
- Gloss Photography Studios
- Our many businesses, community groups and private citizens that sponsored a bench!
In addition, thanks to Paul Schierl of Chilton, Wis. for custom building the cedar benches (www.schierlwoodworking.com) and to Mike Schmidt and Schok’s Auto Body and Refinishing (5701 W. Burleigh St.) for applying the auto body clear coat on all the benches.
Artist Award Winners
- First place: Greg Dich-Brookfield, Wis. Bench #1 “Sitting on a Song”
- Second place: Kathy Hoffman-Whitefish Bay, Wis. Bench #35 “Dynamical Systems”
- Third place: Amy Thomas-Shorewood, Wis. Bench #6 “Unfolding”
- Honorable mention: Heather Corley-Brookfield, Wis. Bench #32 “Sunny Day Getaway”
- Honorable mention: Elizabeth Bender-Wausaukee, Wis. Bench #26 “Rest Awhile”
The two remaining benches, #27 and #32, will be auctioned off at the annual Shorewood Foundation Dinner/Auction on Saturday, November 6 at Hubbard Park Lodge. For information about this event, call the Customer Service Desk at Shorewood Village Hall, 414.847.2700.
SPECIAL PURCHASE: Notecards and posters still available at Village Hall!
You can commemorate the event by purchasing notecards featuring color photographs of each of the 41 benches. The notecards are packaged in four groups of 10 cards each (the last pack has 11 cards to equal 41 benches). Cards can be purchased for $12 per pack (including envelopes) or save $8 and buy all 4 packs for only $40. Posters are also available for only $3 each. Visit the Village Hall Customer Service Desk (3930 N. Murray Ave.) on Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.– hurry, cards and posters are available in limited quantities. Cash or check payable to the Shorewood Foundation are accepted.
Fall Retail Seminar
Monday, October 18 • 8:30-10:30 a.m.
Shorewood Village Hall, Second Floor Committee Room
Presented by Business Districts Inc. (BDI) of Evanston, Ill., partners Bridget Lane and Diane Williams will offer creative ideas to jump start your sales for the 4th quarter. All Shorweood business owners are invited to participate in “50 Tips To Make Your Holidays Merrier” for only $20 per person. Participants will receive an informational binder that you can use as a reference tool over and over again. This informative presentation will get you and your staff energized and motivated to take on the all-important holiday sales season.
Every business owner who reserves space in the seminar and pre-pays by October 8 will be entered into a drawing to win a personal “10 Tips in 20 Minutes” consultation conducted by the BDI experts at your business location (a $75 value). Have them evaluate your store fixtures, displays and merchandise – and offer an objective critique of your business. Interviews will be held in the afternoon of Monday, October 18 after the morning seminar.
You can also book a personal “10 in 20” consult with the BDI professionals and save 50% on the fee (the Shorewood BID will pick up 50% of the cost). Register below for the personal consultation at only $37.50 – and if you implement SIX or more of the recommendations offered, the Shorewood BID will refund your consultation fee! For a registration form, e-mail email@example.com.
Shorewood Business Improvement District 2010 Annual Meeting
Wednesday, October 20 • 5:30-8 p.m.
The Cornerstone, Oakland Ave. and Kensington Blvd.
Check in at the North Star American Bistro Restaurant (inside The Cornerstone)
- 5:30 p.m. Open house/tours of model apartments • 6 p.m. Refreshments
- 6:30 p.m. Presentation/Showcase Business Awards/Green Leaf Business Awards
Socialize and network with Shorewood BID board members and staff, business owners, property owners, and Village representatives. Learn more about BID activities and events. The evening’s agenda will include:
- A review of 2010 BID events, programming and accomplishments.
- The presentation of our 2010 Showcase Award winners, recognizing the outstanding efforts of Shorewood businesses who support the mission of the BID and are dedicated to the commercial vitality of the Village.
- The presentation of the inaugural Green Leaf Award winners presented by the Shorewood Conservation Committee.
Please RSVP your attendance to BID Executive Director Jim Plaisted by October 18 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Don’t miss this fun and informative annual event and please feel free to bring a guest. We hope to see you there!